Hello friends! As you know this week I left little dog in snowy Montreal and packed my swim suit for the white sandy beaches. Since I am from Russia you can imagine how the pigment of my white skin look in sunshine. Yep, mostly red. So it is imperative that when I hit the sun I’m in the shade.
One of the first things I look for when I get to the pool or beach is where is my umbrella. Our first day by the pool was covered by the shade of the hotel building and the shade from the umbrella. Impossible for the sunshine to find me. A perfect day by my standards. Day two was not so shady as we got up a little late (too much fun the night before) and missed our opportunity to score a spot in the shade. What’s a girl to do? I was covered head to toe in my beach outfit and towels. Trying my hardest to ensure not a speck of sunlight was to touch my body. It was only after my 3rd daiquiri that the lovely couple beside us felt sorry for me and offered their umbrella. An instant friendship was born. Since that day we became a foursome, to a sixism to a party of 8. Lovely couples vacationing like us to get a break from the cold weather. We spent endless days drinking by the pool, trying out water activities in the ocean, uno championships, and dancing our nights away. We shared stories of past vacations, our families, little dog (of course), secrets, heartache and life struggles. We shared laughs and drinks. All this to say we made a quick friendship in less than a week. Spent all day together and then took our separate routes home. Not before exchanging phone numbers and Instagram accounts.
So where does this leave us now? What are the rules to keeping couple friendships? How do you stay in touch and hopefully plan to meet again?
Here are some tips to keep that long distant friendship going:
- Keep in touch on regular basis. Maybe not daily but once every other week touch base to see how things are. How’s the weather? Don’t you wish we were still sipping margaritas on the beach? Keep it light and friendly, yes.
- See or do something that reminds you of being together? Drop a line. Can be something funny like an inside joke, or just reminiscing about the good times you had. Either way a joke or fun moment is a great opener.
- Plan to make plans. Try and plan another vacation together. Either a couple getaway or a family vacation. Maybe even meet up next year at the same place you met. Could be a new ritual. Either way plan to see each other again.
- Visiting one another in your own city is a great idea. People like to show off their city, and locals always know the best places to go. You could see a new city in the best light.
- Each couple needs to make the effort to make the friendship work. It’s hard enough to make friends so you all need to be committed to making it last.
Hopefully you didn’t meet Greg and Jenny and get fake numbered the way Monica and Chandler did when they made couple friends on their vacation and you can enjoy a life long friendship!
Got any tips of your own? Let us know how you kept in touch with your friends and how you guys did it.